Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Last Weekend




The howling rain slowed suddenly outside to a gentle patter as I sipped my cup of latte. I glanced into the half empty cup, wondering how fast I should finish it. I flicked my eyes to my watch, then back to the large window overlooking the busy road. I briefly scanned each face as they pass. Serious looking strangers eager to go home. Walking resolutely without so much as a look around. I wonder if they know there’s more to life than the work they carry in their briefcase. Than the world in their laptop...

I turned resolutely back to my coffee. The milky shade of mud brown stared back at me, mocking me to finish it.

Fortunately, the door slammed opened and a gust of wind swooshed in to the steady tapping of the rain. Kyle walked in hurriedly, a large, bright smile shining from his face.

“Sorry I was late,” he said gaily.

He shook his hair lightly so that raindrops flew off like beads off a broken string. A few customers turned to stare at him in annoyance but he did not notice. He pulled his jacket closer and thumped down on the seat in front of mine. Then he pulled out an envelope from the inside of his jacket and tossed it triumphantly onto the table.

I did not react.

“Well, here it is,” Kyle said. He leaned forward and pulled out a deck of photographs and a string of film. “This is it, isn’t it?”

I shot a cursory glance at the photos. In many, there were views of large temples with imposing domes and Buddhist monks. Some were of the sun baked beach. In almost all, there were two people in the foreground. Sometimes, there were many people in the background. Tourists and go-go girls, peddlers and tuk-tuk drivers.

Kyle observed me with satisfaction, the smile still plastered on his face.

Noticing my expression, his changed.

“What’s up?” he asked.

I nudged at the photos.

Kyle looked at the photos with more interest.

“What’s this?” he asked

I cast my eyes away. Out to the street with the nameless strangers through the large window.

“The last weekend,” I replied finally.

Kyle’s brow furrowed with puzzlement.

“And who’s this?” he asked and pointed at the second figure in the photos as he closed in for a better look.

I felt my thoughts wandering to a far away land again, my emotions - a strange mixture of numbness and confusion.

“She is my sister.”

I bit my lips.

“She was my sister.”

8 comments:

  1. I like the way you kept it mysterious until the end, wow! and i love the way you ended it,

    “She is my sister.”

    I bit my lips.

    “She was my sister.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks. lol actually I asked you to read it coz I thought it's somewhat similar to yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. erm, i'm unsure about something. The Kyle guy was cheating on her with her sister is it?

    Or i think the sister passed away?

    =.= sorry to be so confused...

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, i thought so too!

    the sister passed away, hence the past tense; right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. yea. but she could also be disowning her sister. you do feel some "numbness and confusion" if you found out your sister was cheating on you like that.

    and i thought the people in pictures were pictures of them together. hahahah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Natarii.. who are you btw eh? haha..
    anyway didn't realize you can read it a different view... gives me food for thought. For the record, i wrote it as
    > The sis is dead, hence past tense.
    >the two ppl in the photo is writer and sis.
    >Kyle is just the messnger to bring the photos, no significance to story at this point.
    > the real point is that when writer said "The last weekend", it didn't mean what happened last week (it could have been any week), rather it was 'the last weekend with the sister' before she died.
    Thks for reading n ur feedback

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonder where did you manage to get the name of there though ^-^

    Anyways, it was quite an interesting story to read here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a friend of le-anne's. she linked you in her assignment blog.
    hmm. thanks for clearing the doubts.
    i enjoyed reading it. (:

    ReplyDelete